I never thought I’d get to this point. And I don’t think it has anything to do with the iPhone… more like Apple and AT&T have given me reasons to be annoyed. And I knew this was coming, I was just crossing my fingers that it wouldn’t be like EVERY OTHER CELLPHONE. But I guess it is.
And my list is in no particular order…
1. The hype. It’s been nearly a month since the OFFICIAL announcment, and I can’t even begin to go into detail about all the hype involved. If you’ve been keeping watch, you know what I’m talking about. All the advertisments that it’s the BIGGER, BADDER SMARTPHONE on the block. And I agree, it’s an awesome phone, but you’d think they ease up just a little.
2. The cost. Actually, this is probably the MOST ANNOYING part of the whole process. As advertised, if you are a new customer, you can purchase the phone at the advertised costs. HOWEVER, if you are a LOYAL AT&T customer, you can purchase the iPhone at an inflated price. I’m sorry, but I don’t have 500 beans to throw away…
3. Customer Loyalty. I suppose this one goes hand in hand with my issues with the cost. I am a LOYAL AT&T (and Apple/Mac as well) customer. I bought the first iPhone when it came out and payed the inflated price for it. The downside is that when my ex and I split, the phones were in his name, and they needed to be switched over. And I was considered a NEW customer all over again. Meaning I am not eligible for the upgrade… unless I want to pay extra.
4. The lines. There’s a good chance that if you don’t leave work right now… no, I’m serious. Leave. RIGHT NOW! And stand in line at your local Apple or AT&T retailer chances are, you will not get one right away. I’ve read articles and heard rumors that there are already people standing in line.
5. Apple and Advertising. I really thought that Apple was going to come through for me. The iPhone was announced and hyped up at one cost, and all of a sudden, it’s not going to cost me what I thought. I understand that both companies are trying to be competitive and make money off the deal, but seriously… It would be nice to catch a break.
I spent the better part of the night last night feeling annoyed with a twinge of depression… OVER A PHONE! It’s not something that is terribly important, but I like immediate gratification. However, there is a list of other things on my list of things to get, so I will be putting off throwing down 500 beans for awhile. I plan to wait and see what will happen with my bonus check from work.